Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend recap

Why is it that weekends go by so fast? I mean I know they're only two days long and all that, but the days go by slower during the week. Friday my sil went grocery shopping and got all of the basics. We came to the conclusion that it's impossible to feed 8 people for a month for less than $600. It doesn't help that she refuses to buy anything other than name brand stuff. I, on the other hand have a hard time paying for a name.

Saturday we all suffered another shopping trip to Wally World. All 7 of us. I still contend that shopping with children is hazadarous to their health. I don't know why but my husband seems to think that it's ok to let our children run about the store as though their hair were on fire. I was never allowed to behave that way in public. Not sticking by my parents and touching anything earned me a trip out to the car. We all know what happens at the car. That was a trip that I only took once. It took us about three hours to go through just the grocery side of the store. About 5 minutes into the trip I had a screaming headache. Dh just couldn't seem to grasp why I insist on shopping without the kids.

Sunday we just lazed around and didn't do much of anything. The kids spent most of the day playing outside. Here's where the ranting starts, so fasten your seat belts. I don't know why. I cannot for the life of me find a good reason, but my niece just drives me up the wall. Well, it's not just her. It's my sil and her kids. Don't get me wrong, their nice enough and for the most part we all get along rather well. The problem comes in where our parenting styles differ. My sil has lived with my in-laws pretty much the whole time before she moved in with us. My mil doesn't believe in really discipling a child. No spanking, no time outs. She thinks children should be happy all the time and that you should just give them what they want. So you can imagine what my niece is like. Spoiled rotten and thinks everyone should pay sole attention to her. Also, being an only child she's not really used to sharing. Now I know that I can't expect her to understand and it's not really her fault, but when she doesn't want to share her stuff, but expects my kids to share with her, it drives me nuts.

I think part of it is that I'm not used to being around a baby 24/7 any more. Every time he starts crying, and he's been doing a lot of that lately, I have the overwhelming urge to snatch him out of her arms. After dropping off Katie at school today I came home to hearing the baby screaming his lungs out while my sil took a shower. At first I thought he was in his crib, but then I realized that he was in the bathroom with her. I offered to take him for a few minutes while she finished up, but she declined and the baby continued to scream for at least a good 10 minutes. I find it hard to believe that doesn't bother her. I could never just stand there and listen to one of my babies scream like that. The poor baby is totally off of his schedule, he's not eating like he normaly does and the naps are non-exsistent. I mostly just feel bad for the baby. I find it frustrating because I know she doesn't know much, but I don't want her to feel like I'm telling her what to do. I would really like to help and give her a break if she needs it. Being a single mom can't be easy.

Over all the weekend wasn't too bad. Not long enough as usual. For some reason I still keep trying to do more stuff on the weekend instead of during the week. I need to get back to my routines and FlyLady. I really fell off the wagon. I was a good girl today and got up early and got myself put together and had the house cleaned before taking Katie to school. That felt really great and I felt like I could relax for the rest of the day.

No comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com