Thursday, February 17, 2011

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be

I wrote the title to this post three days ago.  I sat here and stared at it for a good thirty minutes before I saved the draft and left it alone.

I didn't anticipate how hard it would be to call and request an appointment with a child psychiatrist.  I hate asking for help.  It's like admitting failure and I don't like to fail.  But I didn't fail. I didn't fail myself and I didn't fail my children.  I took a deep breath and made a phone call, then went to an appointment where I asked for help, because one of my children isn't happy and it's beyond where I know what to do to help.  The other is having a lot of trouble in school and I've done everything I know how to do.  So it's time for some assessments and time for some talking.

I won't think about my degree in child development or the fact that I'm a behavioral therapist that can't manage her own child's behavior.  It's different when it's your own child.  It knocked me on my ass for a good two days and really put a damper on our Valentine's Day.  But as with most things, I cry and then I dust myself off and keep on moving forward, because I have to.

3 comments:

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

You did the right thing. Sending you hugs.

Diplo_Daddy said...

No shame in asking for help, no matter who you are. Sort of like men asking for directions. It hurts at first, but then you quickly get over it. Good for you!

Rachel said...

Thanks guys. Have a great weekend.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com